We want everyone who shares this dream to be able to join us. We do, however, have to be honest with ourselves. This arrival will require some basic stick and rudder skills, along with discipline in your flying. You will have to hold an airspeed and altitude with very close tolerances. You will have to be able to sidestep to another runway at the last minute if so instructed. The possibility exists we will have a crosswind to deal with at Oshkosh. Most importantly, you will need to possess the skill to fly twenty feet off the deck if instructed, and land on a colored dot. High speed taxi will also be a requisite. If you really want to join us, and you are deficient in any of these areas, go out and practice. We would suggest a couple of hours with a CFI that makes you sweat would go a long way towards building your confidence. We are only as strong as our weakest link. Everyone's safety depends on the pilots ahead of and behind them. In addition, you will be observed when you land at the staging point. The training at Waupaca is not primary flight training. Those skills should already be firmly ensconced when you arrive at the staging area. The saturation training at Waupaca is for the purpose of getting into a formation of three-ship elements and flying with the group to a safe and uneventful landing at Oshkosh.
Questions are always free, so contact us at anytime. We will find the answers one way or another.
The basic minimum requirements for Cherokees 2 Osh are as follows:
- 500 hours total time (For those with less than 500 hours, if you feel confident in your abilities and/or have special training or experience that might qualify you to fly formation, please contact Dwane Ferguson, Director Air Operations. As an example, we have found that pilots who have already flown formation, flew a lot of "un-logged" time or have an instrument rating may be well qualified to join our formation)
- 50 hours in Cherokees
- 20 hours within the last 90 days
- Meet all currency requirements
- Proof of liability insurance/photo copy MUST accompany registration packet
- Signed copy of Cherokees 2 Osh – 2018 Flight Waiver
- Must possess and have read 2018 NOTAM for AirVenture www.airventure.org/flying/2018_notam.pdf
- MUST attend MiniClinic Flight Training — for Dates, Locations, and Registration, see SCHEDULE page.
- Arrive at staging area (KPCZ – Waupaca, WI) on July 18, 2018
- MUST attend Formation Flight Training Clinic on July 20, 2018
- MUST attend Safety Briefing on Saturday July 21, 2018
- MUST submit Registration Fee of $125 by March 31, 2018 (Earlybird) or $150 by May 31, 2018
In addition, EAA has some rules we need to follow once we arrive. we highly recommend that everyone read all available information on their website, regarding camping with your aircraft. Here are the basics:
- EVERYONE MUST TIE DOWN!!! (Tie downs may be rented on site)
- Camping on the field requires EAA membership. You can join there if needed. We suggest doing it now. You will receive a lot of information prior to Oshkosh that will assist you in planning and making your AirVenture experience even more memorable. See airventure.org for camping, attraction, schedules and survival guide information.
- Camping fee does NOT grant admission to AirVenture. You must purchase that separately by the day or by the week.